WHAT IS RENTER’S INSURANCE?
Your landlord doesn’t cover your personal property. Things like your clothes, sound system, furniture, appliances, television, bicycle, artwork, personal computer, and other items are all at risk against fire and theft. You can also face the prospect of defending yourself from a lawsuit because of some accident for which you may be held legally responsible, whether it happened where you live or somewhere else. These are the events that Renter’s Insurance covers.
Not having Renter’s Insurance is a pretty big gamble, especially in a multi-unit apartment building, where you are surrounded by neighbors who may not be as responsible as you are. The chances are much greater for building fire because of the presence of multiple kitchens, heating systems, and electrical appliances, as well as neighbors who smoke. Further, the instances of burglary, theft, and vandalism occur more frequently than in a single-family dwelling. In fact, people who rent are burglarized 79% more often than those who own their own home, according to the U.S. Department of Justice’s Bureau of Justice Statistics.
Other Special Features
- Contents are covered on and off premises so if you are out of town on vacation or on a business trip, your personal belongings, if lost, stolen, or destroyed, such as cameras, video recorders, luggage or laptop are protected under extended coverage, up to 10% of your total contents.
- Contents Extended Coverage also includes a family member who may be residing off premises with a home computer and other personal belongings at the college dormitory.
- Premises Guest Liability will protect you from lawsuits for slips or falls that your negligence caused. This liability also extends coverage off premises to include all household members if they cause an accidental injury to anyone. Example: Your son is on the softball team. While at the playground, he throws the bat, accidentally hitting another player; your $100,000 or $300,000 liability limit will protect you.
- $1,000 or more (see availability) of medical coverage is provided for any guest that is accidentally injured on the premises. A cut, burn, or fall anywhere on the premises covers a guest or visitor. More accidents occur at home than anywhere else. Accidents will happen.
- Other special limits of liability include $1,500 for loss due to theft of jewelry, watches, furs, precious stones and another $1,500 towards loss of securities, deeds, accounts, evidence of debt, important papers such as letters of credit and more, as well as the cost to replace them.
- Policy also includes automatic coverage on firearms, watercraft, trailers, fishing equipment, outboard engines, monies, bank notes, bullion, and coins.
- Additional Living Expenses are covered if your home or apartment is made uninhabitable by any covered peril. This policy also pays for your increased living expenses while you are displaced due to mandatory evacuation.
HOW MUCH DOES RENTER’S INSURANCE COST?
In most cases, Renters Insurance costs only a few hundred dollars a year. That's right, for around the cost of one monthly car payment you can protect yourself from theft, fire, wind, water damage and other covered hazards for an entire year. Can't afford even that small amount at one time? That’s not a problem because Dan Burghardt Insurance knows how important this coverage is, so we offer payment plans that make this already inexpensive coverage even more affordable. How affordable? Check the Sample Rates and payment plans below. The fact is, your landlord may be sympathetic about the floodwater in your living room or your stolen sound system, but you are the person who will have to replace all of your damaged or stolen belongings!
Renters Insurance Sample Rates*
(Compare these super low rates to La. Citizens for the same coverage)
- $6,000 -
$227.00 paid in full, or
$167.75 down with 3 quarterly payments of $31.75
- $10,000 -
$259.00 paid in full, or
$177.25 down with 3 quarterly payments of $39.25
- $20,000 -
$361.00 paid in full, or
$205.75 down with 3 quarterly payments of $56.75
- $30,000 -
$480.00 paid in full, or
$239.25 down with 3 quarterly payments of $86.25
- $40,000 -
$579.00 paid in full, or
$267.00 down with 3 quarterly payments of $110.00, or
$267.00 down with 9 monthly payments of $40.37
- $75,000 -
$925.00 paid in full, or
$364.00 down with 3 quarterly payments of $193.00, or
$364.00 down with 9 monthly payments of $70.37
- * All sample rates include a $250 Deductible, Replacement Cost on Contents, Additional Living Expenses, $100,000 Personal Liability and $1,000 Guest Medical Payments. Sample rates may not be accurate for your circumstances. Rates can vary by area and zip code, building contstruction, claims history, and other factors. Call to have a Renters Insurance Specialist determine what your exact price will be.
FOR OTHER AMOUNTS OF COVERAGE CALL US AT (504) 441-RATE(7283) TO SEE HOW AFFORDABLE THIS VALUABLE COVERAGE CAN BE.
HOW MUCH COVERAGE DO I NEED?
As you can see below, the contents in just one room quickly add up. (Click image to enlarge)
To help you determine how much coverage you need, we have prepared a
Valuator. Use the link below to view and print
the Valuator, or you can contact us directly and we will assist you
with expert advice.
View/Print Personal Belongings Valuator
Always keep good records of all your personal belongings with photos or video tapes, owner’s manuals, sales and credit card receipts and canceled checks. Good records will accelerate your claim handling. In anticipation of a total loss you should keep additional records off site.
IS FLOOD INSURANCE INCLUDED?
- No, flood insurance is written as a separate policy.
- Renters of first floor apartments or other rental units, including condos, homes, mobile home, etc. should definitely consider flood insurance.
|Preferred Risk Flood Policy Rates - Available in Low-Risk Zones|
Above Ground Level
(Mutli-story building, not apartment)
All other Locations
(Basement-only locations are not eligible)
PRP Application Is Required Upon Acceptance
Other Associated Products for Renter’s Insurance include the following:
- Discounts on Renter’s/Auto Insurance Package
- Flood Insurance for ground flood exposure
- Personal disaster policy
- Personal umbrella for $1,000,000 and up
- Alarm System Certificate - to receive an Alarm Discount
- Photo of secured entrance to receive Gated Community with Security discount
- Pictures of front and back of building
- Proof of prior coverage, if applicable
- Customer should document his personal contents with video or photos.
complete a quote request form or you may contact us directly at (504) 441-RATE(7283).