WHAT IS PREMISES LIABILITY?
- Liability arising from injuries or losses occurring on one’s premises.
- Premises Liability is usually included on your homeowner’s, renter’s or condo package policy to protect you against lawsuits from a guest who may slip and fall, injuries caused by your pets or injuries caused by a family member. The liability on these package policies usually extends for incidents that may occur on or off the property. Example: Your son injures a playmate at school or at the playground.
- Premises Liability pays for both the cost of defending you in court and any court costs, up to the limits of your policy.
WHO NEEDS PREMISES LIABILITY?
Premises liability can be written to compliment policies that do not include liability, for example:
- Builder’s Risk Policies
- Renovation Policies
- Tenant Policies written by Citizens Property exclude liability on one to four-family dwellings
- Mobile Homes written by Citizens Property exclude liability
Premises Liability can be written on the following property:
- Vacant Lots
- Vacant Premises (residential and commercial)
HOW MUCH COVERAGE CAN I BUY?
1. Liability limits start at $100,000, however you can purchase up to $1,000,000 or more, if needed. Please consult your agent for suggestions on the amount of coverage.
2. You can also purchase an umbrella policy or excess liability, which provides a broad coverage, to include claims against libel and slander. Limits start at $1,000,000 and can go up to $10,000,000.
For more information and rates, please contact our Personnel Lines Department directly at (504) 441-7283 or submit the quote request form.